Ly-Hub

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

First Libyan Doctors


These are the first two first Libyan doctors who graduated from Constantinople.One of them is my paternal grandfather.Dr. Aref A. Arif.Was an eye surgeon in the old city. He treated people of Trachoma which usually led to complete recovery of sight.He was a proud doctor who didn't ask for anything from anyone who couldn't afford healthcare.He was a good citizen who did all he could for his people.He was survived by a young wife and 5 children. 3 sons and 2 daughters :Ihsan , Naima, Lutfi, Soad, and Assed.Only two are still with us.As I'm researching our family history I'd appreciate any extra info about my grandfather which I really never got to know. I believe a stamp is not enough to commemorate his work .He should be listed in Libyan History as a person who did his best and gave everything he had to his people.

1 Comments:

  • Hello trabilsia,

    Are you the daughter of 3ammi lotfi? I remember vaguely that when Tripoli college closed in the seventies some of 3ammi lotfi's children ended up with us at the Ecole franco-libyenne,I remember Amal(right?)I have been living abroad for the last 20 years and I'm not quite sure...(i think he passed away?)Our dads used to be friends.I can ask my father,he is one of the few left from his generation,may be he has some infos.I let you know.salamaat

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 06, 2006 3:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home